The time has come to resume contra dancing in Knoxville. Hooray!
We received access to the Laurel Theater on July 13 and have a schedule for the fall. Our first dance will be on August 2 and features the music of the Luv Muffins and all of our regular callers will take a turn on stage.
It has been a long road back to this point and there will be a few changes in our routine. Jubilee Community Arts (the owners of the Laurel Theater) have changed some of their policies.
· For the time being there will be no recycling in the building. If you want to recycle (and we hope that you do) you will need to carry your items out with you to be recycled elsewhere.
· Jubilee has also suspended keeping a lost and found box. Anything left behind will be tossed out or donated to charity.
· They have also asked all groups using the building to wipe down frequently used surfaces, doorknobs, handrails, etc. at the end of each event. We will also be making sure these surfaces are clean prior to each dance
· There will be hand sanitizer available at various locations throughout the theater.
We have some additions to the Jubilee policies
· Vaccination is the best protection against Covid-19, but we recognize that not everyone can be vaccinated. We are requesting unvaccinated individuals to wear a mask when attending a Knoxville Contra Dance event.
· If you bring snacks to dance, please bring individual servings such as individually wrapped snacks or whole pieces of fruit.
· Please bring your own water bottle. We will not have the communal water jugs available, but there will be bottled water for sale.
· The upstairs restroom is reserved for people who are unable to use the stairs and for hand washing. There are 2 restrooms available downstairs.
· To keep all our visitors safe, we ask that no one with a fever or symptoms of COVID-19 enter the Facility.
It has been a year and a half without contra dancing and we have missed it, and more importantly we have missed each of you. We are looking forward to seeing everyone this fall.
What is Contra Dance?
Here is a short video to help answer that question
We dance to live music every Monday night, 8-11 pm, at the Laurel Theater (16th St. and Laurel Ave. [directions]) - $8 ($5 for students & those just listening). If this is your first time, come a few minutes early and join our new dancer workshop, where we teach the basics.
Beginners are welcome, no partner or experience required. It's easy and fun!
New dancers, click here for videos and tips!
With very rare exceptions we dance every Monday night from 8-11 pm at the Laurel Theater at 16th Street and Laurel Avenue [directions].
Beginners are welcome, (it helps to show up early), and no partner is required. All dances will be taught. "If you can walk, you can contra dance." Admission for dances is $8 ($5 for students & those just listening).
You can burn a lot of energy on the dance floor, so we recommend you wear loose fitting comfortable clothing with layers that you can remove. To save your self some time in the water line, bring a couple of bottles of water with you.
We dance in the historic Laurel Theater, to preserve our dance floor, we request that you wear or bring clean, non-marking, soft-soled or leather shoes for dancing.